WordPress is a software which creates an open source tool and free blog. It is also a content management system (CMS) based on PHP and MySQL, to run on a web hosting service. Features include a plug-in system and web templates. WordPress is used by over 18.9% in the top 10 million websites. WordPress blogging system is the most popular system used on the Web with over 60 million websites.
WordPress was first released on May 27, 2003, by its founders Matt Mullenweg and Mike Little. As of November 26, 2013, version 3.7 has been downloaded nearly 10 million times.
WordPress has a web template system using a template processor.
Users can install WordPress Theme and switch among those themes. Theme allows users to change the look and the functions of a WordPress site or it can be installed without changing the information content of the site or structure. Theme can be installed using the WordPress “Appearance” through the administration tool or it can be uploaded via FTP. PHP, HTML & CSS from the Theme folder which can be added or edited to add features as desired. Currently, there are many WordPress themes, some are for free, and others require a fee charged.
A very popular feature of WordPress is the plugin structure which allows users and developers can extend the capabilities of WordPress beyond its original features. WordPress has a database of more than 26,000 plugins, each plugin offers custom functions and features allow users to tune their sites to suit each of their specific needs. The custom from improved SEO (Search Engine Optimization) for supporting this website to display the contents, such as the addition of widgets and the navigation bar.
Characteristics and outstanding features of WordPress
- A variety of Plugin with constantly updated version, in addition, the user can write or change Plugin WordPress source code.
- Developed in multiple languages (with support Vietnamese).
- Continuous software updates, great community support.
- There are abundant Theme system, many professional theme capable of good SEO.
- The management blog, management is very convenient entries like software professional website design.
- Demonstrate PDF, DOC, Powerpoint on article content. Specially built Latex – editor of mathematical formulas, helps the users can write mathematical formulas on the blog.
- There are WordPress Widget (applications create) such as
- Statistics blog visits
- The last post
- The most prominent posts
- The latest comments
- Listing categories
- List the page
- List of links
- Listing of articles in each month …
- In addition to statistics of the number of visits each day for blogs, WordPress also statistics of the number of visits each day for each blog post. On that basis, the blog owner will be driven to write about what future content.
- The comment may have been approved before published, any comments with inappropriate content can be deleted, if the latter is spam, the IP can not send comments to blog anymore.
- Admin (blog owner) can give 35 Contributors to the blog post, can assign rights for collaborators under various levels. Keep a list of users visit blogs. Admin can also post to anyone via email to the blog admin to them as long as a secret email address of the blog (this address can be changed at any time).
- Data Backup to restore the blog content easily when blog hacked, and provide tools to move from other blogs to WordPress blogs.
Multi-user and multi-blogging
Before launching WordPress 3.0, WordPress supports only one blog per installation, although multiple copies can be run from different directories if configured to use the database table separately. WordPress Multi-User (WordPress MU) was created to allow multiple blogs to exist within one installation, but can be managed by a manager.
WordPress MU makes it possible to control and manage all the blogs from a single dashboard. WordPress MU will be added to the database eight new data tables for each blog.
In the release of WordPress 3.0, WordPress MU merged with WordPress.
WordPress app on WebOS, Android, iOS (iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad), Windows Phone, and BlackBerry. These applications are designed by Automattic can use to add posts and pages, comments, manage comments, reply comments, and view statistics.
Other features of WordPress
WordPress also features links management, help-friendly search engines (search engine-friendly), link-friendly structure. WordPress also supports the Trackback and Pingback standards for displaying links to other sites that have themselves linked to the article.
History of WordPress
b2 / cafelog, often referred to simply b2 or cafelog, is a precursor to WordPress. b2 / cafelog estimated to have been used on approximately 2,000 blogs in May 2003. It is written in PHP using MySQL by Michel Valdrighi, is now a contributing developer to WordPress. Although WordPress is the official successor, another project, b2evolution, is also a positive development.
WordPress first appeared in 2003 as a joint effort between Matt Mullenweg and Mike Little. Christine Trémoulet Selleck, a friend of Mullenweg, has proposed using the name WordPress.
In 2004, the license terms for Movable service was changed by Six Apart and many people use its influence has switched to using WordPress.
What is WordPress.com?
WordPress.com is a free blogging service using WordPress blogging platform to provide storage space for users blog.
Users can use most of the advanced features of WordPress Vietnam and friendly to use in creating your own blog
The advantages when using the free version at WordPress.com:
- You do not need to invest in the web hosting space (hosting).
- You do not have costs for technical staff to your blog stable operation
- Your blog hosted at WordPress.com data center should work very stable and fast (if you are abroad). This gives your blog a low response time, plus designing SEO friendly so your blog is easy to do SEO for Top Search Engine when you provide specific content and useful.
However, there are some limitations when using the free version at WordPress.com :
- You can not use your own domain name for your blog
- You can not upload videos
- You can not use a rich plugin system provides platform WordPress
- There is only 3GB of storage (enough for a blog, but also small and medium)
- On your blog will show ads from WordPress.com
- Access in Vietnam sometimes have difficulties and problems
What is WordPress.org?
WordPress.org platform where supply (source) for free allows you to build a blog on the storage space of their own. You can use all the nifty features that the free version of WordPress.com does not provide. Currently, it is often referred to WordPress WordPress self-hosted think of the so-called Self-Hosted WordPress. You can visit http://wordpress.org to download the source code of WordPress.
The advantages when using WordPress.org platform :
- You can freely customize the WordPress source code as you wish.
- You can use any desired domain name (eg http://www.xtraffic.xyz/)
- You can install any plugin in Plugin rich repository is provided in http://wordpress.org/plugins/ or any page.
- You can install any Theme Theme in rich repository is provided in http://wordpress.org/themes/ or any public page WordPress Theme offers.
- You can upload files to any format you wish.
However, the use WordPress.org on the host platform has its own restrictions :
- You must have knowledge of the host to create and manage blogs.
- You must take the cost to rent a blog host or server to run.
- You must have a domain name to point to your blog. You can use a free domain name to point to or paid blog.
- The structure of the WordPress admin page
Admin interaction page of WordPress
WordPress admin page includes the following sections :
- Dashboard : WordPress admin overview, including summary information about WordPress website, blogging fast, some latest comments, all from WordPress.org blog, the new and most popular plugins, and links to your website.
- Updates : Show all themes, plugins, and the WordPress platform as a new version.
- Posts : Management posts, tags and categories (category).
- All posts : Managing all Posts.
- Add new : Post new posts.
- Categories : Manage all categories.
- Tags : Manage all Post Tag.
- Media : Site management of all multimedia files such as pictures, video, text files, etc. be uploaded to the web. You can add or delete any file on this page.
- Pages : Page management static pages (page). The difference between the static pages (Page) and articles (Posts) are static pages can be added to the navigation bar (menu) while the article does not. You can create a static page to introduce the company or products, or making contact page and inserted in the menu to the viewer easily identifiable.
- Comments : Version management of comments on your website. You can delete or prohibit any person to use this function on your site.
- Feedback : Making the feedback page management and customer contact.
- Appearance : Web interface management page. Here you can install and use the WordPress Theme different, as well as edit the CSS at your disposal. You can search for the WordPress Theme page http://wordpress.org/themes/
- Plugins : Plugin page for additional management features for your website. You can install or remove any plugin on this page. You can find the page Plugin for WordPress http://wordpress.org/plugins/
- Users : User management page registered to use your website. You can add, delete, or assign privileges to any user on this page.
- Tools : Page managed import / export data. You can output files to make the backup file to the website in case your website is hacked, lost data in the future, from which you can use the import tool to restore data export.
- Settings : Page editing parameters common to Web sites such as url, timezone, Date Format, structured path, etc. Usually the management and editing of the plugin parameters is also done here.
Awards WordPress has achieved
In 2007, WordPress won Packt Open Source CMS Award Awards.
In 2009, the award-winning WordPress Packt Open Source CMS Awards best.
In 2010, the award-winning WordPress Hall of Fame CMS.
In 2011, the award-winning WordPress Open Source Web App of the Year Award at The Critters.